Tuesday, July 12, 2016

We CAN Take Action!

I wish you a week of reflection in all that this country offers to each and every one of us no matter age, gender, ethnicity, religious affiliation or sexual preference. We DO have a say in our lives in this country, and we CAN make a difference in not only our own lives but in the lives of those around us.

Interestingly enough, that was the last paragraph of last week’s blog. It has been another horrific time in our country’s history with the in Minneapolis, Baton Rouge and Dallas shootings. Our country is in turmoil. Do we even know how to connect with one another anymore? It’s difficult for most of us to wrap our heads around this.

I read a comment on FB from JJ Flannigan, a former CU football player, who gave an account of a recent experience. “Today, July 8th, 2016, I was reminded that I have been too comfortable and that I am still a black man living in a white man’s world. I was reminded that it doesn’t matter my education, my job, my salary, the way I speak, or the suit I was wearing, I am still just a “nigga” in this world. Today while walking through security at the court, which I do several times a week, I was loudly confronted by security about why I was coming through that security area. I was told to go to another entrance. Then I realized that the security assumed that I was a “defendant” coming to court and not working for the public defender’s office. If I’m a black man walking into a court building evidently I MUST be a criminal. Thanks for reminding me once again who I am and how you see me and think of me. To my white friends, stand up for injustice when you see it or you might as well put on the ‘white sheet’ too. To my kids, DON’T GET COMFORTABLE…Be prepared for injustice so you don’t have to be pissed off like I am right now. To my minority friends, talk to your kids and tell them to be proud of who they are but never assume and never get comfortable, or you will get reminded eventually, like I did today.”

In reading about JJ’s experience, it made me so sad but it was also a reality check that as a white, 64 year old woman, it’s not in my understanding how this type of situation could exist in this day and age. In asking what I could do, JJ told me to speak up and say something when I see an injustice. There were 15+ people who witnessed the situation at the court house that day and no one spoke up.

Mark McIntosh, a friend, motivational speaker, author, and now the founder of an organization called  A Stronger Cord writes a weekly blog which I enjoy reading. Mark’s words this past week rang true to my spirit, “It’s the spiritual foundation of the wellness outreach movement A Stronger Cord. It doesn’t matter if we’re black, white, brown; live in a mission, mansion or Main Street, we need to realize societal challenges of homelessness, poverty, income inequality or racism will only be solved collectively by investing time in one another. Success in life is a team effort that recognizes race, religion and socio-economic differences as opportunities not obstacles to build a stronger cord to one another.”

My sadness, frustration, worry etc. all felt heavy on my heart. That was ok for a short time because those feelings were real. Now it’s time to move into action mode. Each of us in our own world and in our own experiences can learn, grow, and stand up for others. As JJ said, SPEAK UP. That doesn’t mean you have to be rude, swear, or do things that deflect the point of your words. BUT SPEAK UP!

From the Introduction of the latest book I’m reading, The Energy Bus, it says,” There is an abundance of new research that shows that positive people, positive communication, positive interactions, and positive work and team cultures produce positive results. Or perhaps at a deeper level we all know that every person, every career, every company, every organization, every family, and every team will have to overcome negativity, adversity, and challenges to define themselves and create success.”

I refuse to be intimidated and I refuse to be fearful all the time. That’s in my control. So is SPEAKING UP!

I wish you a week of reflection about your life and a week to pay attention to opportunities that need another’s voice. By not taking action whether it’s not going to vote, not speaking up when you see wrong being done etc. aren’t you really saying you’ll let others make the decisions for you? Aren’t you really giving away your freedoms? Aren’t you really saying that you can’t make a difference in this world?


The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment