Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Life Lessons from our Farmers Part 4

I hope you’ve taken time to think about and put into action at least one thing that’s in your control to move ahead in your life.  If you’ve been “doing your homework” you have a clearer understanding of your “soil” which is the basis of all you’re doing in your life.  If you need more “nutrients” have you identified specifically what you need to add, and at the same time have you identified the toxic “weeds” in your life?  Some you can pull out, some you will have to stay away from as much as possible, and some you will have to learn to work around.  As you know, weeds are everywhere and even those we think we have gotten rid of may appear once again.  That’s just life.  What’s in your control is to know what you’re going to do so YOU are NOT changing your goals, your focus, your desires because of the negativity you may face.

Each day is a day to learn, grow, and move forward.  Seeds are planted and depending on many factors the gestation time will vary.  As I mentioned previously, timing is variable, and each of us has our own “clock.”  Numerous variables play a role in that timing including: our past, our parents, role models or lack thereof, age, maturity level, where we are in our careers, being a spouse/partner, a parent, education, mindset, faith, and the list goes on and on. 

Until we have more life experiences to compare things too, we often don’t know what we don’t know.  If I’ve never experienced lack, how will I ever know abundance?  If I’ve never felt valued how will I ever know what that feeling is like?  The contrasts or opposites are what give us a comparison.  If someone doesn’t tell me about leadership skills and helps me learn to define them, how will I ever know if I have leadership skills or not?  If I don’t read about people who have successfully learned skills to deal with toxic people, how will I never know that I too can learn the skills and take control of my life?  If I always feel as though I have to do things on my own and know everything because I’m a boss, how will I ever learn the value of a team and the beauty of pulling people together for the benefit of the overall good?  If I’m always looking behind me with regret, how will I ever know how to live each day and then look forward with anticipation?  If I’ve never experienced being coached, supported and encouraged, how will I ever be able to coach, support and encourage my spouse/partner, my children, my friends, my family members, my colleagues, or my teammates?

Ongoing personal growth and development is part of that “fertile soil” that’s critical to a “successful harvest.”  First and foremost, “put the oxygen mask” on you first.  Then you can be a leader, a person of influence, a listener, a true rock for yourself and others but not before you take a look at who you are at your core.  I remember an incident in my first couple years of teaching.  I was very excited about a certain project (specifics escape me right now), I had the best of intentions, but I was pushing for my idea on three other more experienced teachers on our team.  Finally, one of them who had more experience and was a wonderful teacher said, “Nancy, there are many more ways to get to our goal than just your way.”  OUCH!  I was embarrassed; I felt hurt, and yes, a little angry.  But guess what?  She was exactly right.  Though I felt awful at the time, I realized several VERY important lessons that I have never forgotten. First, I was willing to listen and take the learning from this other teacher because she was someone I admired, skilled in teaching, and I hoped to be like her after teaching for 10 years versus my three.  I respected her as a good role model who walked her talk.  Second, there is always a little bit of truth in everything, so I needed to dig deeper to find that truth.  Third, egos get attached to a specific approach or way of doing things, and that’s not usually a good thing, so egos must be “left at the door.”  Fourth, a team or partnership working efficiently together will come up with a much better answer than working solo.
 
Keep in mind, farmers never “coast.”  There is always something that needs to be tended to, adjusted, modified, and/or eventually changed.  There are always new innovations to consider, inefficient ways to be discarded, and there’s always a time to be open to enhancing the good and throwing out the old. There’s a constant vigil of paying attention to details and never settling.  There’s always data to be collecting and quiet time of reflection and thinking.  An attitude of fighting change is not going to be profitable for the farmer, yet how often do we hear, “I’ve been doing it this way for 20 years, and there’s no need to change. I don’t need to look at things in a different way.  I don’t understand technology nor do I care to learn. My way or the highway or “pulling rank” are also two attitudes that will not improve anyone or anything.  Whether we like it or not, 2015 is a different world, and we have to adjust in order to be profitable and better at what we’re doing.  If that doesn’t happen, nothing grows; businesses fail, marriages fail, bank accounts are depleted, health problems increase etc.

If you want your football team to get better, if you want your university to expand and impact more young people’s lives, if you want your marriage to be stronger or your relationship with your children be life impacting, if you want to be healthy well into your 80’s and 90’s+, if you want to grow your faith, if you want to improve your skills in a particular area you must be willing to LEARN, GROW, and OPEN to new and different ways. Change is a part of life.  Do you fear the new and different or do you embrace it?  After all, we are in control of our mindset. 

As with our farmers, there is also a time of celebration.  Don’t forget to celebrate your growth and accomplishments.  What can you do for yourself, along the way, to celebrate even those baby steps?

I wish you a week of growth and learning.  I wish you time to reflect on how you handle change.



No comments:

Post a Comment