Tuesday, January 27, 2015

FInances Part 1

Good morning.  I hope you've had a fabulous week, that you had a chance to put not only thought but action behind your planning and organization for the next four weeks, and your mindset has been on moving forward in at least one area of your life around being organized.

My focus for the next two weeks will be on finances and guess what?  Organization and planning play a key role here too.  Now that Christmas/Hanukkah is a month behind us, are you still paying off your credit card bill?  How much longer will it take to get everything paid off?  Are you having to forego other wants/needs because of the credit card holiday debt?  If you’re not able to pay the entire amount, you do realize you are paying more with the credit card late fees, right?  Were you able to purchase what you had planned, were you able to donate to others, were you able to enjoy this time of year because of no money worries? 

In the past, I would be stressed out about the money I was spending during the holidays, because it was coming out of our monthly checking account.  What was a complete turn around and life saver was our decision, about 6 years ago, to make Christmas a monthly deduction.  Setting money aside each month into a savings account and also getting a credit card used exclusively for Christmas purchases and donations was the best thing we ever did!!  Any time I purchased something for Christmas whether it was in January or July or October … I used the designated credit card.  When the credit card bill came, I took money out of the savings account and paid the bill.  Done.  No hassles, no stress and no late fees.

At the beginning of the year, I set up my budget with the different categories.  Because of our family growing with grandchildren, our desire to give donations to more nonprofits, and an increase in shipping costs, the total amount of what I spend has increased over the 6 years.  Because of that increase, we have increased the amount paid into the savings account.  Not a big deal to add $10 more on a monthly basis.

Some of the categories I set up with my Christmas budget include a maximum dollar amount for our children, their spouse, our grandchildren (amount changes depending on their age), what we can spend for each other, and our parents.  The items that can be forgotten, but now in my budget include:  gifts to our mail person, milkman, the newspaper, donation to a charity, a service organization etc., stamps, Christmas cards, mailing of packages, mailing of the Christmas breads I send, as well as a misc. category for such things as purchasing a wreath for the front door, ornaments, etc. 

Budgets and keeping to them has usually been a challenge for me, however, with a new system like this and one I’ll talk more about next week, has totally changed our lives.  I keep a file labeled “Christmas,” and in it is my budget in a table format.  Each budget item is listed on the far left, the total allocated amount is next, followed by the amount spent column, and the last column is the final amount left which should either be zero or maybe a little left over.  Once I purchase an item, the receipt is put into an envelope, and then recorded in the check register.  The check register begins with the total amount allocated for that year, and each item is then deducted in the register and on the budget table.  I can easily look at that table to know how much money I have left with that line item.  For my own information, I also list each person so I can keep track of what it is I have purchased and the amount.  That comes in handy especially if I buy something throughout the year and put it in a “gift holding” box. I have a tendency to forget that I did buy something earlier in the year.  

This sounds like there is a lot involved and very time consuming.  On the contrary, it’s like anything else, it is a habit but it is also easy to do along the way.  If you try to do this all at one time in the end, it will not be accurate nor relieve the stress and frustration.  Is this the only way?  Absolutely not, but hopefully it will give you a way to begin with a system that works for you.

The key to this type of system is three-fold.  First, create a realistic budget.  Go back over your expenses this past year and see where you spent money.  These then will help you create the categories for your budget line item.  Once you have everything including something maybe you would like to have been able to do but couldn't afford at the time, you will now have a total you will spend.  Divide that total by 12 months (11 months now), and that will be your monthly deduction.  There may need to be some adjustment in your necessities budget, but it’s easier to do that now and MUCH less “painful.”   Second, set up a savings account only for Christmas/Hanukkah.  Make a monthly deposit into that savings account.  The monthly amount will depend on your budget determined by your needs.  Finally, apply for a credit card (not a debit card) which will ONLY be used when you purchase items for the holidays.  Having a separate savings account and credit card keeps things separated and easier to track versus having money co-mingled.   When the credit card bill arrives, all you now need to do is transfer funds and pay the bill on time – no late fees!!

This system allows me freedom to purchase items throughout the year, to have a handle daily (if I want) on how much I have left to spend on a particular person, line item etc., and it gives me a peace of mind that the money is there.  After the holidays, the last thing I do is to see the totals spent in each category and set up a budget for the next year.  I had to increase my shipping line item as that amount is increasing for 2015, a few other line items were dropped as they were no longer needed etc.  I found, in the end, we need to increase our monthly contribution to the savings account by $10.  Doesn’t make a difference on a monthly basis but could make a big difference at the last minute and the total is $120. 

I encourage you to take time this week to look at how you are allocating money for the holidays.  What is your system, where is your money being spent, how did you do this year, and the key…are you debt free after the holidays or are you paying off credit cards which now include late fees? January 31st is Saturday.  February could be the beginning of your new system to prepare for the holidays!


I wish you peace of mind with this area of your finances, let me know what you think of these suggestions, and I would love to hear what other ideas you have for what you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment