Monday, March 10, 2014

Soda? Diet Soda? Energy Drink?

Soda – Diet Soda – Energy Drink?
What’s your preference?

I’m not a doctor, I don’t presume to know all the science behind nutrition, but I am aware of the topic of sugar from Dr. Oz and many others.  I’m sharing a few key points for you to reflect on and pay attention to this week.
 
How often do you drink a soda (pop) on a daily basis?  Is it a diet soda or regular soda?  Or is your drink of choice an energy drink?

According to an article in Women to Women, they referred to statistics from Beverage Digest, “overall sales of soda (sugar and diet) were 10.2 billion cases in 2005; about 828 eight-ounce servings a year (or 2.5 servings per day) for every man, woman, and child.  That number is actually down from 849 last year, mostly due to the rise in energy drinks – which come with their own concerns.”
“A regular 12-ounce soda contains the equivalent of nine teaspoons of sugar, usually in the form of high fructose corn syrup….is it any wonder we are gaining unprecedented amounts of weight and even our children are developing type 2 diabetes? 

So doesn’t it make sense to drink diet?  Yes, diet does have fewer calories than a regular soda, however, it appears that “artificial sweeteners can actually set us up to gain more weight.”  There are different views on this, but “many scientists agree that artificial sweeteners may interact with our body’s sense of sugar satisfaction…some experts are exploring the possibility that artificial sweeteners confuse our taste buds and all those brain measures of satierty which we base what we eat.”  Remember…it is artificial..

Ok, I’ve heard all the concerns about sugar in soda and the problems with diet soda, so energy drinks must be better, right?  Besides I am always tired and need more energy.  Sound familiar?  Dr. Oz says this…”energy drinks are risky.  It’s important to understand what is actually in these drinks.”  (Check out his website in reference to energy drinks.)  “Although known as ‘energy drinks’ many of these products don’t provide any real energy as you would get from carbs, for example.  Instead, they provide a stimulant caffeine. Labels typically don’t tell you exactly how much caffeine is in a product.  At ConsumerLab.com, we recently tested caffeine levels in three popular energy drinks.  A five-ounce bottle of Monster Energy M-3 Super Concentrate contained 206 mg of caffeine and 5-Hour Energy contained about the same amount but in just 2 ounces meaning that 5-Hour Energy is even more concentrated than Monster. In comparison, a full 8-ounce cup of regularly brewed coffee has just about 95 mg. of caffeine.  Details are in ConsumerLab.com’s Product Review of B Vitamins Supplements and Energy Drinks (available through the 24-hour free pass to Dr. Oz viewers).

Now what do I do?  I know I need to drink water, which I do, but I also need something more at times. In this past year, I have found a clean, natural and healthy alternative.  Evolv Activate is a cellular energy activator that has science-driven results.  I drink it for my workouts, others drink it while running, skiing, students are drinking it for more energy and focus while studying, and it’s also a great drink for that 3:00 slump.  

What makes this drink different?  ActivateATP!  “It’s a cellular energy activator that works gently with your body’s own energy pathways to give you a boost right where it begins: at the cellular level.”  This is a proprietary drink, includes green tea extract, only natural lemon flavor and no artificial sweeteners.  Click on the link below for more information about the Activate Fuel drink. 
http://www.evolvhealth.com/activateatp/

This is now my drink of choice.    I have a steady level of energy throughout my workout and throughout the day, I am more focused, there are no peaks and valleys in my energy level unlike the drinks with all the sugar, and I know I’m putting clean, natural ingredients into my body.


Pay attention this week to what you are drinking, how much you’re drinking, how you’re feeling, and read the labels.  I would enjoy hearing your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment